Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ugandans recognise one of their own



Mr Robert Kisitu, Chairman Nedas handing over the presents to Ali Balunywa (Photo by Joachim Kikomeko)

Last Saturday 14 November 2009 started like most Saturdays. Wake up late, listen to the news do some shopping and attend a meeting in Amsterdam. The Great Lakes Organization, bringing together Burundi, Rwanda, Uganda, Congo, Kenya and Southern Sudan, organized the day’s meeting. During the week one friend of ours had died from Uganda. I had intentions of going to his girlfriend’s house to pay my respects after the meeting.

However, my colleagues with whom we attended the meeting convinced me to go through what we call the Uganda café, where we meet and socialize. At the café I greeted the people and went through behind for a chat with John Njuba whom I had taken sometime without seeing. After a couple of minutes, I was summoned to the main hall where meetings are held. I thought it was to solve some problem or address the Ugandans because there were many of them.

The ruling miss Uganda Netherlands, Hafsa, took my arm and called the meeting to order. She announced that the Uganda community decided to surprise me with recognition for my service to Ugandans. They also congratulated me for making 50 and successfully completing my studies.

Speaker after speaker spoke about my good deeds and heaped on me praise to my utter embarrassment! It is normal for someone’s good deeds to be recognized at his/her funeral, so to hear speakers praising you in your presence can really be disarming.

A big card signed by over 20 Ugandans had the following phrases:

  • Happy birthday; Kassim
  • Dear Ali, On behalf of I wish you a happy birthday and would like to congratulate you on completing your Masters degree; Robert Kisitu
  • Stichting Nedas
  • Dear, congs in everything, you are a pride to your family. Eddy Kalungi
  • Dear Ali, My sincere appreciation for the work you are doing for the community. I have learnt a lot from you and I believe you will continue to pursue what you believe in; Ibra Ndaula
  • M. I Nkuutu
  • Since you turned 50 I gave you the name SIR…keep it up because it is not easy; Mustafa
  • Dear Ali, It is the wisdom of man that may change his world but only when put to use! And it is my heartfelt congratulation upon your graduation. I also take this opportunity to thank you for what you have contributed to the Uganda community: Ben Twine
  • Dear Ali, may you live to blow many more candles. God bless; William
  • Dear Ali, May you enjoy many more fruitful years and may the lord bless you in all your endeavors; Miss Uganda Hafsa
  • Long live; Richard Mulindwa
  • Ndugu Ali, It is with great pleasure that I take this opportunity to congratulate you formerly upon attaining half a century on earth, completion of your Masters degree and the good work you are doing for the Uganda community. I wish you more blessings and further cordial working relationship; Herbert N.M
  • Dear Ali, We appreciate all you have done for the Uganda community-the struggle continues; John Njuba
  • Omuko Ali, I wish you a happy birthday and many more others to come; Steven Ssalongo
  • Dear Ali, Long live and get more older and older 90+; Sharif
  • Ali, Congratulations for all the work you do for the community. Keep it up; Joachim
  • Gefeliciteerd! Patrick Katumba
  • Gefeliciteerd Mr Ali! Grace, Julie and Grace Ndaula
  • Njawuli
  • Hi big brother, what can I say? What I want is to wish you all the best in life, keeping the good work, bringing us together, supporting and all what God has sent here to do. You are a brother, a friend and a supporter. Love you very much; Christine van de Pluim

More people wished to sign but the space was limited, but I know many more signatures would be there. Some also opted to send private mail for which I am also grateful.

A set of 5 James Bond DVDs (My favorite) and a philosophy book were presented to me. I was lost for words, but I managed to thank the community and promise to keep it up.

The DVDs and book

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Would it be improper to use Pres. Abraham Lincoln's phrase and say tat: Surely You have not asked Uganda what it can do for you but instead asked Uganda what you can do for her? I pray that we get to learn from Ugandans life you,Ugandans of integrity, patriotism, and change -oriented hearts with a meaning other than illusions embroiled with hatred, tribalism, ignorance and disheartening and ill conflicts! Long live Sir Ali Balunya II !
Ben K Twine

Stream for free

I was written to because I cited Roku on  this page  at Balunywa Bytes.  Here at KillTheCableBill.com, we're helping people beat inflati...