Thursday, December 31, 2009

Uhuru Pilau sucks


When I returned from Gulu yesterday, I went straight to my friend Sam Ntende’s office. I found Sam who usually attires in formal clothing relaxed at his office. He is an attorney. It was late afternoon and we were all hungry. He asked me if I wanted to eat and I asked to be taken to Uhuru’s restaurant to eat his famous pilau. Pilau is spiced up rice usually with fried meat.

I had read so much about Uhuru restaurant and the pilau. Reports said it had nice pilau, chapati (flat bread) and fresh juice are his trademark servings. And that should one have such a meal from Uhuru, you can be sure to be full for the rest of the day and no need for supper. It is a nice way to save for most folks. The restaurant is near Standard Chartered Bank down town. Price is about 3,500/-. (One euro) Given the price it is not easy to get where to sit.

It took us about 5 minutes to walk from Sam’s office to the restaurant. It is somewhere upstairs surrounded by shops. The restaurant lacks ambience and is dusty. The expectation of a wonderful meal keeps your appetite good. One first pays at the counter then takes a seat. Shortly thereafter, the food is brought to your table. That was my first disappointment. Food served that fast is most times not good.

The pilau is served on a flattish plate with different sections. There was a section for sauce, pepper, greens and the rice. The rice was cold and oily without any meat. I am not a good cook, but the rice I cook has a better taste. The ‘hot’ pepper was not hot at all. The cutlery was nothing to write home about. To cut the long story short, I was very much disappointed with everything at the restaurant.

No comments:

Stream for free

I was written to because I cited Roku on  this page  at Balunywa Bytes.  Here at KillTheCableBill.com, we're helping people beat inflati...